Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I went to a cooking class at the Maytag Store and Babara Tenney showed us how to make this. WOW is all I can say!!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 pears, ripe, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 5 cups spring mixed salad greens
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat over to 350 deg. For the pecans, boil together the water and sugar. Add the pecans and simmer 5 minutes. Drain and toast the pecans on a well-greased baking sheet until golden (about 10 mins). Set aside to cool. This can be done a few days ahead.
- For the dressing: Mix the vinegar, shallots, sugar, chives and onion. Slowly whisk in canola oil, and make sure the dressing is thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. This too can be made earlier.
- For the pears: cut into quarters and remove the seeds. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Either grill or pan fry until the pears are tender. Not mushy, but tender. In the pan would be approx 15 mins or so.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and mound the pears in the center of each plate. Top with candied pecans and crumbled blue cheese. Enjoy!
This salad is fantastic. Usually with recipes I need to change something, but this is perfect the way it is. I highly recommend it.