Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
You will enjoy this salad full of lively and inviting flavors which comes from the Al Biernat’s Restaurant in Dallas, TX.
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 8 ounces sliced bacon
- 3 pears, sliced (Bosc work best)
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups ruby port
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 12 cups mixed baby greens
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread walnuts on baking sheet.
- Bake until toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Cook bacon in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely chop bacon.
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat) or preheat broiler.
- Cut pears into 1/4-inch slices and spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- Grill or broil pear slices until brown in spots, about 2 minutes per side.
- Bring Port and shallot to boil in heavy medium saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Strain into large bowl; cool.
- Whisk oil and vinegar into Port.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add greens, cheese, walnuts, bacon and pears to dressing in bowl and toss to coat.
- Divide among plates and serve.
What a salad! Especially the vinaigrette is something to write home about!
I first saw this recipe in Bon Appetit Magazine, August 2000 edition. I have since made it many times and it is very delicious! For me, it takes way more than 10 minutes to reduce the port. Give yourself 30-40 minutes instead. Have used Tawny Port instead of the Ruby with excellent results as well. I also don't strain the dressing. It does make alot of dressing, but keeps well in the fridge for other uses. I have chopped the pear into pieces and sauteed in a VERY small amount of bacon fat instead of grilling or broiling. I reduce the walnuts and olive oil to half a cup each. This can be prepared head of time, just mix all at the last moment. Thanks for posting, Bev, this is a great salad!