1 hr 30 mins
MA HIKER's Note:
A lovely sweet dessert that doesn't heat up your kitchen! From June-July 2007 Rachel Ray - still untried by me, will edit once I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 large peaches, 4 peeled and thinly sliced, 1 peeled and chopped
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1preheat your gas grill.
- 2In a deep 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over indirect medium heat. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and the sliced peaches.
- 4Cook until carmelized, about 5 minutes. Arrange the fruit in an even layer in the pan and let cool.
- 5In a medium bowl, toss the chopped peaches with the remaining 2 cups sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- 6Sift together the flour, baking soda, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- 7In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil and add the vanilla.
- 8Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well mixed.
- 9Stir in the chopped peach-sugar mixture.
- 10Fold in the hazelnuts.
- 11Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
- 12Stir the batter again (it will be very thick) and spread over the cooled fruit in the skillet.
- 13Place the skillet in the center of the grill and grill over indirect medium-low heat with the lid down, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 14Let cool for 15 minutes.
- 15Invert into a platter and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Peach Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.4
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 420.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 65.5 g
- Protein 9.9 g