This is an Italian salad which uses toasted (or grilled) day old bread, like a bruschetta, tossed in with the veggies and cheese. I hope you enjoy this recipe from Cuisine At Home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded,diced
- 3/4 cup Fontina cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted,halved
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 slices day old crusty bread (1" thick)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded,quartered
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds (see note)
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 2Toss tomato, cucumber, cheese, olives, and herbs together in a bowl; cover and chill.
- 3Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- 4Drizzle in oil, whisking until blended.
- 5Rub bread, bell pepper, and onion with oil using your hands; season with salt.
- 6Grill bell pepper and onion, covered, 3-5 minutes; turn vegetables over.
- 7Add the bread and grill until toasted on one side, 1-2 minutes.
- 8Turn bread and grill second side until toasted, 1-2 minutes more.
- 9Remove everything from the grill.
- 10Rub both sides of the bread with half a garlic clove, tear into pieces, and add to the vegetable-herb mixture.
- 11Chop the peppers and onion, and add to the salad.
- 12Drizzle with dressing (you may not use it all) and toss to coat.
- 13Serve immediately.
- 14Makes about 8 cups.
- 15Note: Onions are tough to grill.
- 16Here is an easier way: Push two skewers through the onion, spacing them about 1/2" apart.
- 17Cut between the skewers.
- 18Wrap and store the other half in the refrigerator.
- 19Be sure to soak the skewers in water for about 20 minutes before grilling, so they will not burn on the grill.
- 20Once grilled, cut the onions along both sides of the skewers for bite sized pieces.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Panzanella Salad
Serving Size: 1 (1092 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 401.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 6.8 g