Recipe by Karen in MA
Serve with a big, spicy Greek red wine to complement the lamb's smoky flavor and point up the nutmeg's sweetness. Try the 1998 Château Pegasus Naoussa or the 1999 Domaine Porto Carras Château Carras. Originally from Food & Wine 9/04
- 1 1⁄2 cups ouzo
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon cracked peppercorn
- 12 lamb loin chops
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour ouzo into a shallow dish just large enough to hold the lamb chops in a single layer.
- add the olive oil, nutmeg, peppercorns and a big pinch of salt.
- Turn the chops in the marinade to coat.
- Let stand at cool room temperature for 3 hours, turning the chops every 30 minutes.
- Light a grill.
- Remove the chops from the marinade and season with salt and pepper; reserve the marinade.
- Grill the chops over a medium-hot fire, basting frequently with the marinade, until lightly charred outside and medium rare within, about 8 minutes per side.