Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 hrs
Wonderfull side dish with BBQ anything!! from Canadian Living mag. (marinating time and stand time included in cook time)
- 4 medium red onions, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- peel onions, leaving stem ends intact.
- Cut shallow cross in root ends.
- In large bowl, stir together oil, lemon juice, vinegar and cayenne.
- Add onions, rolling to coat well.
- Let stand for 30 minutes, rolling onions, in mixture occasionally.
- With slotted spoon, remove onions, stir sugar, salt and plack pepper into marinade and set aside.
- Cook onions on greased grill over medium hot coals or on medium setting, turning every 5 minutes, for about 30 minutes or just until lightly charred all over and tender when pierced with knife.
- Let cool slightly, remove stems and charred outer layers.
- In food processor fitted with thin slicing blade or using very sharp knife, cut onions into very thin slices.
- Toss with reserved marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, arrange onions on individual salad plates.
- Garnish with parsley, if using.