Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Grilling the onions definitely makes this taste just a little bit better! Cook time reflects chill time.
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs red boiling potatoes (about 5-6 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced celery
- Heat grill.
- Slice onion into slightly larger than 1/4-inch slices and brush both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Place onion on grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until brown and tender.
- Let onion cool and then chop.
- Place potatoes into boiling salted water for about 20-25 minutes or until just tender; drain.
- When cool enough to handle, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, stir milk and vinegar together and let sit 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in mayo, salt and pepper.
- Stir in onions.
- Add potatoes to bowl, stir and then add celery.
- Stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Excellent potato salad! Who would've thought that grilling the onions would make such a difference. I added 14t garlic powder, 1.5t yellow mayo and three chopped eggs. Might have had a bit more grilled onion that I grilled on a hot skillet on the stove. If you're not in the "like mustard" group, I believe you'd love the salad anyway.
Thanks for the great potato salad recipe. I think from now on I'll always grill my onions before adding them to potato salads. That really gave it a special touch. Made for PRMR.
This was a really good potato salad but DH & I like a few more goodies than just onions, celery & potatoes. So next time, I'll probably add more celery, cukes, & hard boiled egg. Yes there will be a next time. Really like the flavor of the grilled onion. Enjoyed this with bean salad & a lovely thick loin lamb chop. Great meal. Thanks for a great recipe Kim, the only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the lack of extra goodies. Made this for ZWT5.