Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Grilling the onions definitely makes this taste just a little bit better! Cook time reflects chill time.
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs red boiling potatoes (about 5-6 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced celery
- Heat grill.
- Slice onion into slightly larger than 1/4-inch slices and brush both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Place onion on grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until brown and tender.
- Let onion cool and then chop.
- Place potatoes into boiling salted water for about 20-25 minutes or until just tender; drain.
- When cool enough to handle, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, stir milk and vinegar together and let sit 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in mayo, salt and pepper.
- Stir in onions.
- Add potatoes to bowl, stir and then add celery.
- Stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
This was a really good potato salad but DH & I like a few more goodies than just onions, celery & potatoes. So next time, I'll probably add more celery, cukes, & hard boiled egg. Yes there will be a next time. Really like the flavor of the grilled onion. Enjoyed this with bean salad & a lovely thick loin lamb chop. Great meal. Thanks for a great recipe Kim, the only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the lack of extra goodies. Made this for ZWT5.
Loved the caramelized onion! Delicious-don't change a thing! In fact, DH had seconds which is unusual. The ratio of dressing to potato is spot on. I subbed in red wine vinegar b/c I did not have cider vinegar and used a red onion-- caramelizing it on top of stove at medium for about 15 minutes. A wonderful make ahead for a hot day! Thanks Kim127 for a keeper. Made for PRMR game.
Roasting the onion made this AMAZING. I used reduced fat mayo and skim milk to fit in with our WW points and it turned out beautifully. We also like the skin on our potatoes, so I chopped them skin on then boiled them. I also tossed in some chives from the garden. This is a favorite. We will make it again. Reviewed for ZWTIII