Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Pizza on the grill! I found this recipe a couple months ago while searching for a potato pizza recipe on Google. It is from a personal blog that includes a food section http://www.invisible-jet.net and is attributed to "Mia." I have made it once with a prepared wheat pizza dough, baking it instead of grilling it, and it was very tasty though a little greasy. The carmelized onions and Raclette (a mild, nutty semi-firm cheese from Switzerland), not to mention the fresh lemon juice, are really what make it interesting, and I imagine grilling it only serves to enhance the taste further. I read that Gruyere, Emmental, Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese are good substitutes for Raclette. An unusual, rich and satisfying pizza. Prep time does not include the time spent making the pizza dough.
- If you aren't using a pre-baked pizza dough, bake the raw dough until 10 minutes shy of being done before using in the recipe. The author mentions adding a thin layer of tomato sauce prior to baking the crust.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil and simmer potatoes in it for 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. When done, drain, cool and cut into 1/4"-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, sautee the sliced onion with 1 teaspoon of the oregano and the two tablespoons olive oil until onions are translucent, or about 15 minutes; set aside.
- To assemble the pizza: Drizzle the prepared crust with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and remaining oregano. Sprinkle with the garlic. Top with slices of potato, then tear the raclette into pieces and scatter over the potato slices. Finally, spread the onion slices on top of the potatoes and cheese.
- Grill on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes, then shut grill off and let pizza sit for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pizza is crispy and browned. Watch closely--If browning too quickly, move pizza to top rack of grill.
- Remove to serving plate, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and the fresh lemon juice squeezed over top. Serve immediately.