Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 8 equal-size wedges
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 equal-size wedges
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- 10 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat an oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the red and yellow onions, salt, pepper and olive oil and toss to coat well.
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat.
- Arrange the onion wedges on the pan and cook until they are browned and tender underneath, about 5 minutes.
- Turn and cook until the onions are very tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream until blended.
- Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper until smooth.
- In a 10-inch braiser or ovenproof fry pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, add the rosemary and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and fold gently to combine the rosemary and eggs.
- Arrange the grilled onions on top, transfer the pan to the oven, and bake until the frittata is golden and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Made this for dinner tonight. It was delicious! I made it almost as instructed. The exceptions being that I didn't have rosemary, fresh or dried, so I used Italian seasoning instead. Oh, and I added some fresh minced garlic. Had to bake an additional 5-7 minutes also. We loved it! Very quick and easy to prepare.
Great for brunch! I made half the recipe, added some red bell peppers with the onions, and otherwise followed the recipe. Under the broiler, it puffed up at bit just before it was done. Very good but DH said he'd rather have cheddar cheese. I'd like this with either cheese. Very easy and good.