1/2 Photos of Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers
These are perfect for spring and summer - a grilling sensation. Note: You can only make 4 hamburgers if you like, and then cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions to use another day for my recipe for "' Meatballs' & Pasta With Grilled Onions & Tomato Sauce".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 large yellow onions or 2 large white onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 white hamburger buns or 8 wheat hamburger buns or 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces blue cheese or 3 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese (crumbled or shredded) or 3 ounces feta cheese (crumbled or shredded)
- 1Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- 2Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- 3Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- 4Place patties and onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- 5Grill patties, uncovered, 11-13 minutes to medium (160 degrees F) doneness until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally.
- 6Grill onions 15-20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil.
- 7Season patties with salt and pepper, as desired.
- 8Top burgers with desired cheese about 1 minute before removing from grill.
- 9Place cheese-topped burgers on bottom of each bun and top with 1/2 of grilled onions.
- 10Close sandwiches.
- 11Note: You can only make 4 hamburgers, and then cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions to use another day for my recipe for "Meatballs" and Pasta With Grilled Onions and Fresh Tomato Sauce.
- 12Tip: Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar, Swiss, provolone or Gouda.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 430.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 27.8 g