Recipe by Lainey6605
These are perfect for spring and summer - a grilling sensation. Note: You can only make 4 hamburgers if you like, and then cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions to use another day for my recipe for "' Meatballs' & Pasta With Grilled Onions & Tomato Sauce".
Top Review by Kim127
Loved the grilled onions!! They were perfect for this burger. I topped mine with swiss cheese and lotsa ketchup. The thyme and garlic added a nice flavor to the burgers. Thanks Lainey!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 large yellow onions or 2 large white onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 white hamburger buns or 8 wheat hamburger buns or 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces blue cheese or 3 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese (crumbled or shredded) or 3 ounces feta cheese (crumbled or shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- Place patties and onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill patties, uncovered, 11-13 minutes to medium (160 degrees F) doneness until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally.
- Grill onions 15-20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil.
- Season patties with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Top burgers with desired cheese about 1 minute before removing from grill.
- Place cheese-topped burgers on bottom of each bun and top with 1/2 of grilled onions.
- Close sandwiches.
- Note: You can only make 4 hamburgers, and then cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions to use another day for my recipe for "Meatballs" and Pasta With Grilled Onions and Fresh Tomato Sauce.
- Tip: Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar, Swiss, provolone or Gouda.