Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Sweet onions such as Vidalia and Walla Walla are mellow enough to eat raw, but they are excellent "baked" on the grill and served with grilled steaks or burgers. Try them in the oven too.
Top Review by Bergy
We love onions and this recipe is very good! I did them in the oven to accompany baked lemon garlic sole, drunken green beans, & wee new baked with butter potatoes. A very enjoyable meal. The combination of mustard, hot sauce (Iused1/2 tsp) and the touch od sugar gives a mellow flavor to the already delicius onions Thanks Karen
- 4 medium sweet onions (such as Vidalia)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel onions.
- Cut almost through each onion forming 8 wedges.
- Place each onion in a 24x18 inch piece of foil.
- Stir together the melted butter, mustard and hot sauce.
- Drizzle over onions.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Seal each onion in the foil packet using a double fold leaving head space for steam to build.
- Grill on a covered grill for about 25 minutes or until onions are nearly tender.
- Make a 2 inch opening in the top of each packet.
- Cover and grill for 10 minutes more or until onions are slightly browned.
- Remove onion blossoms from foil packets and sprinkle with pepper.