sloe cooker's Note:
A great sounding dip from the weber web site. One person commented that they grilled thick slices of salted eggplant and skipped the sour cream. Adjust ingredients to suit your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut in half through the stem (skin on)
- 4 large garlic cloves (skin on)
- olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 6 pita pocket bread
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1Fill a chimney starter to the rim with charcoal and burn the charcoal until it is lightly covered with ash. Spread the charcoal in a tightly packed, single layer across one-half of the charcoal grate. Let the coals burn down to medium heat (350° to 450°F). Leave all the vents open.
- 2Lay the onion halves, cut sides down, on a 16-inch square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Tuck the garlic cloves between the onions. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over the onions and garlic. Fold up the sides of the foil and seal the packet. Place the packet right on top of the charcoal and cook, with the lid closed, until a knife inserted through the foil slides easily in and out of the onions, 20 to 30 minutes, turning the packet with tongs once or twice. Remove the packet with tongs and let cool to room temperature.
- 3Lightly brush the pita bread pockets on both sides with oil. Brush the cooking grates clean. Working in batches of three or four pitas at a time, grill them over direct medium heat, with the lid open, until crisp and toasted, 2 to 4 minutes, turning frequently and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking.
- 4Open the packet and remove and discard the skins and hard stem ends from the onions and garlic. Place the roasted onions and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until almost pureed. Add all the remaining ingredients and process until quite smooth. Cut each pita into wedges. Serve with the dip.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Onion and Garlic Dip With Crispy Pitas
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.1
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 1065.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 15.1 g