Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I like these on grilled burgers or bratwursts. It's a really simple and cheap way to add a lot of flavor to whatever you are grilling.
- 1 large onion (sweet, yellow, or white, whichever you prefer, if you're a real onion lover, make one of each)
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- Cut the top and the bottom off the onion, and peel off the outer layers of the skin.
- Cut the onion into 8 or more wedges 5/6ths of the way down, leaving the bottom of the onion still intact.
- Peel the layers of the onion back, like a blossom.
- Drizzle olive oil between the layers. Sprinkle garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper between the layers.
- Add as much (or as little) butter as you want on top of the onion, then wrap the entire thing in foil and place on a hot grill.
- Onions should be tender when ready, 30-40 minutes.