1/4 Photos of Grilled New Orleans-Style Shrimp
I love shrimp! You peel as you eat, but very tasty! Prep time includes grilling. From Gourmet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp (21 to 25 per lb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 7 wooden skewers (12-inch)
- 1Snip shells of shrimp with scissors down middle of back, leaving tail and first segment of shell intact.
- 2Make an incision along length of back where shells are cut and devein, leaving shells in place.
- 3(Shells will prevent shrimp from becoming tough on outside when grilled.) Toss shrimp with oil, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and marinate at cool room temperature 15 minutes.
- 4While shrimp marinate, prepare grill for cooking.
- 5If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill, then light charcoal.
- 6Charcoal fire is medium-hot when you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds.
- 7If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderately high.
- 8Heat butter, chili powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until butter is melted, then remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- 9Thread 4 or 5 shrimp onto each skewer and grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- 10Push shrimp off skewers into a bowl, then pour butter mixture over them and toss to combine well.
- 11Cooks' note: Shrimp can be broiled on a broiler pan 6 inches from heat, turning over once, about 6 minutes total.
- 12Makes 4 main-course servings.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled New Orleans-Style Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.9
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 305.0 mg
- Sodium 760.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 35.2 g