Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
I make these on my outdoor BBQ, they are very good and the beer/mustard sauce makes these brats special! The complete recipe may be doubled if desired. Cooking time is for grilling time. Fully-cooked brats only for this recipe to keep cooking time to a minimum, uncooked will need a longer cooking time.
- 6 fully cooked bratwursts
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (or use cayenne)
- 6 large hot dog buns, split (use a small soft sub bun for this or large hot dog buns)
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pickle relish
- chopped onion
- Cut 4 (1/4-inch deep) slices in each bratwurst (the slits will allow them to soak up the sauce as it cooks and also gives them a nicer appearance).
- In a saucepan combine beer, brown sugar, mustard and black pepper; cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add in bratwurst, then reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the beer mixture (RESERVE the beer mixture).
- Place the brats on the grill; brush generously with the remaining beer/mustard mixture until the brats are browned (about 5-6 minutes).
- Mix softened butter with garlic powder and salt then spread onto each side of the bun; place on the grill and toast until lightly browned.
- Place 1 brat onto each bun and top with one or all of the condiments.
Grilled these over the weekend and everyone loved them. I had a jar of Bavarian sweet mustard on hand so reduced the brown sugar a bit. Used white pork brats (Nuernberger brats). Cooked the brats in the sauce while my husband got the charcoal grill ready...probably about 15 minutes. Continuously brushed brats with beer-mustard mixture while they grilled. Used hoagie rolls. Yum!
The weather was so nice tonight we decided to grill out, and I remembered I had saved this recipe. We had a few guests over and I was in such a hurry I mixed everything together, including the 1/2 a cup of butter etc. that was supposed to be for the buns! No harm done though, it still ended up perfect! Everyone raved over them and asked for extra. Definitely a keeper, these are ingredients I always have on hand!