Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This dish is as delicious as it is simple. There are only 2 ingredients in this recipe, so please use the BEST you can find. Michele, the instructor of the class, introduced me to a WONDERFUL black pepper. It is a delicious black pepper from Malaysia, where it is known as "Naturally Clean Black Pepper". You can find it at Penzeys.com where it is called "Sarawak Black Pepper". It has a floral dimension that other peppers lack and it is produced in an environmentally sound way, without the use of harmful chemicals and with no irradation. This will serve 4-6 as an appetizer.
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- black pepper, in a mill (best quality)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the mussels, rinse in several changes of water and trim the beards, if any.
- Heat a large skillet (cast iron is best) over high heat -- a DRY skillet.
- When the skillet is very hot, put all of the mussels into it and shake the pan.
- The mussels will begin to open immediately. It will sound almost like popcorn. This is the mussels opening up and releasing there juices into the hot pan.
- Continue shaking the pan until all the mussels have opened. This should not take any more than 5 min at the most. They cook quickly and you don't want to overcook them.
- Remove from the heat and season GENEROUSLY with black pepper.
- Transfer the mussels in the skillet to a table or spoon the mussels into individual bowls.
- Serve immediately.