Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a great recipe for a quick, summertime, meatless meal. You need really big portobellos for this. Adapted from a Midwest Living recipe.
Top Review by Fluffy
Oh these were yummy and so easy too. I grilled the mushrooms whole just because I thought it would be easier. I sliced them when they were cooked and served them on hamburger buns.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 6 to 8 inch fresh portabella mushroom caps, sliced into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 8 slices French bread or 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, toasted
- lettuce leaf
- sliced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oil and garlic and brush onto mushroom slices.
- For charcoal grills; grill the mushroom slices on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8-10 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- For gas grills; preheat the grill then reduce heat to medium; place the mushroom slices on rack over heat, cover and grill.
- Spread 4 slices of bread, or bun bottoms, with mayonnaise and top with lettuce and tomato; add mushrooms and bread or bun tops.
- If your grill grids are too wide, brush whole mushrooms with the oil mixture and grill, then slice before serving.