Recipe by Hey Jude
I saw this being made on a Rachael Ray program last weekend and we had it tonight as part of a meatless meal. We really enjoyed them, especially the manchego cheese...a semi-hard, Spanish cheese made from sheep's milk. It was wonderful, use that in this if at all possible.
Top Review by spatchcock
This was AWESOME! We had this last night and the leftovers tonight. Just an absolutely terrific sandwich. Next time I will use a bit more vinegar in the marinade and perhaps a few more cloves of garlic, just because we're freaks like that. But we LOVED this sandwich! Thanks for posting!
- 2 French baguettes, 16-inches long
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 very large portabella mushroom caps
- coarse salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 (9 ounce) package spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 piquillo peppers or 4 pimientos or 4 roasted red peppers, patted dry and cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each baguette in half cross-wise, then split lengthwise and remove some of the soft insides (discard or use in another dish).
- Preheat a grill pan to medium high heat or prepare outdoor grill.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place the hollowed bread in oven to crisp for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and pour marinade over the caps. Turn caps in marinade and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Grill mushrooms 4 to 5 minutes on each side and remove to a cutting board a few at a time, but keep them warm. Thinly slice the mushrooms and transfer back to the dish you marinated them in and add parsley and spinch as you go, layering the hot mushrooms with the parsley and spinach. Once all the hot sliced mushrooms combine with the spinach, the greens will wilt a bit. Toss the salad and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pile the salad into crispy bread and top with manchego cheese and red peppers of choice, then set bread tops in place.