Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Most everything tastes better grilled, and portabella mushrooms are no exception! This recipe uses only 2 teaspoons vinaigrette, but there are plenty of other uses for it beyond dressing a salad.
- 4 medium fresh portabella mushroom caps (3 1/2-4 inch)
- 4 red onions, slices (1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons reduced-fat salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- roasted red pepper, patted dry
- 8 large basil leaves
- Heat closed medium sized contact grill for 5 minutes.
- Place mushrooms on grill. Close grill; cook 4-5 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove mushrooms from grill.
- Place onions on grill. Close grill; cook 4-5 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove from grill.
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and vinaigrette; spread over bread slices.
- Top 4 bread slices with mushrooms, cheese, onion, bell pepper and basil.
- Top with remaining bread, mayo side down.
- Place 2 sandwiches on grill.
- Close grill; cook 2-3 minutes or until sandwiches are golden brown and toasted.
- Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.