1/1 Photo of Grilled Mozzarella and Tomato Skewers
Eat Your Vegetables!'s Note:
Created by Chef Richard Krause for "Chef on a Shoestring." The CBS Saturday Early Show challenge was to create a gourmet 3 course meal for 4 people for less than $20. I love the presentation of this, much more interesting than simple bruschetta. Cut the bread into about 3/4" thick rounds for this. The ingredients after the skewers is for the sauce. I've also made this without the bread before and served it over couscous as a main dish. BE VERY CAREFUL cooking these as you only want them lightly toasted. It literally takes seconds. If you leave them over the heat too long, the cheese will melt all over the place.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut mozzarella in half, then into eight 3/4" slices.
- 2Place ingredients on the skewers in the following order: bread, tomato, basil, mozzarella, tomato, basil, mozzarella and bread. Set aside while you make the sauce.
- 3Mix all the sauce ingredients (everything following the skewers) together in a saucepan and warm for 1-2 minutes before serving. You don't want the tomatoes to break down, but rather just to be warmed.
- 4Brush the skewered mozzarella and tomato with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Grill over high heat on both sides until the bread is lightly toasted and the cheese begins to melt, about 30-45 seconds per side.
- 6Spoon the sauce onto 4 warm dinner plates. Set the skewers neatly on top of the sauce, slide out the skewers and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Mozzarella and Tomato Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1187.0
- Calories from Fat 615
- Total Fat 68.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 179.1 mg
- Sodium 2211.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 63.3 g