1 hr 20 mins
Fabulous Foodie's Note:
Skinless chicken thighs are rubbed with Moroccan spices and then grilled for a smoky flavor. The chicken rests atop a bed of rice pilaf and is drizzled with a cool cucumber dressing and accompanied with a flat bread to complete the meal. I love this recipe because each component of spice, sweet, and cool complement one another so well as to create a meal to remember. My husband and I enjoy it as much as our kids, which makes it an excellent family meal, in addition to being exotic enough for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken thighs, skin & fat removed
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, skinned and chopped
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups hot water
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1For the Grilled Moroccan Chicken, remove the skin and any fat and set aside.
- 2In a small bowl combine the red chili powder, 1 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoons of paprika, cumin, coriander, onion powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and four minced garlic gloves. Stir to combine and drizzle with 1 tbs. of olive oil to create a paste.
- 3Using your hands, rub the mixture into the chicken completely coating each piece. Place in a re-sealable bag and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- 4Grill the chicken on a clean and oiled grill that is set to medium-high heat. Cook until the inside of the meat registers 160 degrees on a meat thermometer, approximately 6 minutes on each side.
- 5For the Raisin and Almond Pilaf, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the remaining 1/2 tbs. of olive oil. Once hot add the remaining two minced garlic gloves, stirring constantly (30 seconds or so) before adding the raisins and almonds. Stir to combine and then add the rice, 1 teaspoons of salt, the chicken broth, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Stir and bring to a boil before lowering the heat to the lowest setting and covering for 20 minutes. Once done, fluff with a fork and add 2 tbs. each of the fresh parsley and cilantro.
- 6For the Cool Cucumber dressing, add the cucumber, sour cream, garlic powder, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoons of paprika, and the remaining 2 tbs. each of the fresh parsley and cilantro. Pulse until smooth and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- 7For the flat bread, in a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and the remaining 1 teaspoons of salt. Slowly add the hot water gradually, combining the flour mixture and water with your hand. Stop adding water when the mixture become dough-like and you can roll it onto a floured surface. Knead the dough several time before rolling it out to 1/4 inch. thickness. Spray each side with a light coating of olive oil spray before grilling on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once done, cut flat bread with a pizza cutter and serve with the meal.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Moroccan Chicken With Raisin & Almond Pilaf, Cool Cu
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.1
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 108.6 mg
- Sodium 1995.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 36.8 g