Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is from epicurious.com - posted in answer to a request for the Moroccan chicken recipe from Brix restaurant in Denver. Harissa is a spicy sauce from North Africa which adds heat to the marinade and tastes great drizzled over both the chicken and the couscous. The chicken needs to marinate overnight, so plan accordingly.
- 14.79 ml caraway seed
- 14.79 ml coriander seed
- 14.79 ml cumin seed
- 14.79 ml dry crushed red pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 44.37 ml sweet Hungarian paprika
- 7.39 ml salt
Chicken and Dressing
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 73.94 ml fresh lime juice, divided
- 4.92 ml finely grated lime peel
- 1360.77 g roasting chickens, quartered, backbone removed
- 0.25 ml sugar
- 414.03 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 283.49 g package couscous
- For Harissa:.
- Toast caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds in medium skillet over medium heat until slightly darker in color, stirring occasionally. about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Grind cooled spices and dried crushed red pepper in mortar with pestle or spice grinder to fine powder. Add oil and garlic; grind to smooth paste. Stir in paprika and salt. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- For Chicken and Dressing:.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon harissa, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and lime peel in small bowl. Rub mixture over all sides of chicken pieces. Place chicken in 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Cover and marinate overnight.
- Whisk remaining 1/2 cup oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and pinch of sugar in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Preheat barbeque (medium-low heat). Grill chicken until cooked through, turning and repositioning occasionally for even cooking, about 45 minutes total. Let stand at room temperature.
- For Couscous:.
- Bring chicken broth and curry powder to boil in heavy small saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork and transfer to platter. Place chicken atop couscous. Serve, passing dressing and remaining harissa alongside.
Very nice marinade. I used a vertical chicken roaster on the grill and a much larger chicken than on the recipe. I think I will try it the next time quartered, as recommended, so the flavor can get into the meatier parts.
This was the starring attraction at our "Moroccan Meal" for the ZWT No. Africa/Middle East Challenge. I sort of mis-read (messed up) the marinade (added the half-cup along with the 2 T.), but that only improved it (as far as we were concerned)...and I poured off the excess oil later anyway. So..now to the couscous. I am a ditz! I had quinoa....but we LOVED the whole effect. My (usually bland) 15 yo DS said this was a 5-star recipe, the other three eaters said 4-stars. So...this spicy meal was a very BIG departure for our little German family! *Made for ZWT 3 No. Africa Challenge ~ Moroccan Meal*