1/1 Photo of Grilled Moroccan Chicken With Curried Couscous
1 hr 10 mins
This is from epicurious.com - posted in answer to a request for the Moroccan chicken recipe from Brix restaurant in Denver. Harissa is a spicy sauce from North Africa which adds heat to the marinade and tastes great drizzled over both the chicken and the couscous. The chicken needs to marinate overnight, so plan accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Chicken and Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, quartered, backbone removed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1For Harissa:.
- 2Toast caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds in medium skillet over medium heat until slightly darker in color, stirring occasionally. about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Grind cooled spices and dried crushed red pepper in mortar with pestle or spice grinder to fine powder. Add oil and garlic; grind to smooth paste. Stir in paprika and salt. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- 3For Chicken and Dressing:.
- 4Whisk 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon harissa, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and lime peel in small bowl. Rub mixture over all sides of chicken pieces. Place chicken in 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Cover and marinate overnight.
- 5Whisk remaining 1/2 cup oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and pinch of sugar in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- 6Preheat barbeque (medium-low heat). Grill chicken until cooked through, turning and repositioning occasionally for even cooking, about 45 minutes total. Let stand at room temperature.
- 7For Couscous:.
- 8Bring chicken broth and curry powder to boil in heavy small saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork and transfer to platter. Place chicken atop couscous. Serve, passing dressing and remaining harissa alongside.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Moroccan Chicken With Curried Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1156.3
- Calories from Fat 702
- Total Fat 78.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 1069.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 50.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: