Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. This is a sweet and spicy ground burger combined with the perfect creamy grilled cheese sandwich. I started making this for my family on the weekends when we wanted more than a turkey sandwich for lunch. It was a great way to combin our favorite grilled cheese and hamburger. I added red peppers and onions to get some veggies into my kids and grilled the rye bread for the perfect sandwich crunch. If I know we have a busy weekend, I will prepare the ground beef, veggies and cheese sauce in the morning and refrigerate until lunch. Then I just reheat everything before assembling the sandwich. It is a real time savor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 red pepper, cut in half, seeds and stems removed
- 1 onion, cut in half (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (worth using) (optional)
- 10 slices rye bread
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- oil, for grilling
- 1Tear off a 20 inch piece of Reynolds Wrap Foil. Roll into a ball. Clean the grates of an outdoor grill with the tin foil ball. Turn the grill on. While it is preheating, prepare all the other ingredients.
- 2Saute ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Cover a small plate with Reynolds Wrap Foil. Put a metal colander on top and drain the grease from the cooked ground beef. Return the meat to the pan. When the drained grease cools completely, wrap in the Reynolds Wrap Foil and discard.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar and water. Pour the chili sauce mixture in the ground beef and combine. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- 4When the grill is ready, brush both sides of red pepper and onion with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Place on grill, skin side down for five minutes. Turn and continue cooking another 5 minutes, or until red pepper is charred and onion has grill marks and is soft. Remove vegetables from grill and wrap in Reynolds Wrap Foil for 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove black char from pepper and cut pepper and onion is long strips. Add to ground beef mixture.
- 6In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter and cream cheese. Wisk in flour. Slowly add heavy cream and milk. Wisk until the mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack Cheese until melted. Season with nutmeg, if using and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- 7Brush one side of all the rye bread with oil. Put on grill for 2 minutes or until you see grill marks (this can happen very fast depending how hot your grill is so watch it carefully). Remove from grill.
- 8To assemble sandwiches:.
- 9Lay slices of rye bread on work surface, grill side down. Spread dijon mustard on the side facing up.
- 10Divide ground beef evenly on ½ of the bread slices. Pour cheese sauce over ground beef to cover. Top with other piece of bread. Wrap each sandwich in Reynolds Wrap Foil for 10-15 minutes so all the flavors can come together. If you are not serving right away, the sandwiches can be kept warm by returning to a low grill or put on a cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven. Enjoy!
- 11Cooking Tip.
- 12Each of the preparation steps can be done earlier in the day to save time. Just wrap each item separately in Reynolds Wrap Foil and refrigerate. Reheat before assembling sandwiches (1 TBL of heavy cream can be added to cheese sauce to thin out if necessary).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Monterey Burger Melt With Red Peppers and Onions #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 805.8
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 152.9 mg
- Sodium 1544.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 41.5 g