24 hrs 30 mins
Recipe by Chris Schlesinger. In order for the flavor of the rub to really penetrate the meat, we removed the skin and most of the fat
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For brining ham
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup table salt
- 30 whole cloves
- 4 whole whole nutmegs, cracked
- 1 (8 lb) bone-in shank-end fresh ham, skinned and trimmed of all but a thin layer of fat
For spice rub
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, plus
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1Brine ham: Bring all brining ingredients except ham to a boil in a deep 8- to 9-quart pot (such as a pasta pot), stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- 2Remove from heat and add ham.
- 3(Brine should cover ham; if not, make more brine.) Cool mixture 30 minutes, then chill, covered, turning ham once or twice, at least 1 day and up to 2.
- 4Prepare grill for cooking using enough hardwood charcoal to fill a charcoal chimney or a shoe box.
- 5When coals are ready, push them to one side of grill, leaving about two thirds of grill without coals.
- 6Put a drip pan opposite coals.
- 7Make spice rub and cook ham: Finely grind all spice-rub ingredients together in an electric coffee/spice grinder.
- 8Drain ham and pat dry.
- 9Rub ground spices all over ham.
- 10Place ham on grill rack, fatty side up, over drip pan.
- 11Cover grill, leaving cover vents one fourth open and bottom vents fully open, and cook ham, adding a large handful of charcoal every 30 minutes.
- 12After 1 hour, turn ham around so other side faces coals and continue to cook until a meat thermometer inserted near but not touching bone registers 155°F, 1 to 2 hours more.
- 13Make glaze while ham is grilling: Heat glaze ingredients over moderate heat, stirring, until butter is melted.
- 14During last 30 minutes of grilling, brush ham with glaze several times, letting excess fall into drip pan.
- 15Serve ham: Transfer cooked ham to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
- 16Let ham stand 30 minutes to 1 hour before carving.
- 17Serve with pan drippings (skimmed of fat).
- 18Cooks' notes:.
- 19 Gas grill method: Preheat grill to moderately low.
- 20Place ham, fatty side up, in grill on a rack in a large broiler pan.
- 21Close lid, then roast about 3 hours.
- 22 Oven method: Roast ham, fatty side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan in a preheated 350°F oven, about 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Molasses and Rum-Glazed Fresh Ham
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.9
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 200.9 mg
- Sodium 17542.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 81.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: