4 hrs 16 mins
These are a fun, different appetiser with an Asian flair. Threading the mushrooms around the scallops perfectly is a touch fiddly, but the rest of the prep work is so easy, this is quite forgivable. The marinade leaves an enjoyable touch of citrusy character, without overwhelming the delicate taste of the scallops. Another gem from Ming Tsai's 'Simply Ming.'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 lb medium sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus
- 1/4 cup canola oil, if needed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
if serving as a first course
- 1/4 lb mixed greens
- 1 lemon
- 15 -20 5 inch wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
Miso-Citrus Marinade (use 2 cups)
- 1Scrape out the gills from the mushroom caps with a spoon, and set aside.
- 2Toss the scallops with 2 cups of the Miso-Citrus Marinade in a medium bowl or ziploc bag; marinate in refrigerator 2-3 hours.
- 3Prepare a grill, heat to hot, and spray grid with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4Alternatively, heat a grill pan or large sauté pan over high heat.
- 5Lightly rub portobello with 2 Tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 6If using a pan, add 2 additional tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat.
- 7Grill or sauté the mushrooms, turning once, until brown, 8-10 minutes.
- 8Transfer to a medium bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, so mushrooms will steam to finish cooking, about 15 minutes.
- 9Cut mushrooms into ¼ inch slices.
- 10Remove scallops from marinade and blot to remove excess.
- 11Encircle each scallop with 1 or 2 mushroom slices, then insert a skewer through the center to make a handle and hold mushroom in place.
- 12(I used 1 slice of mushroom, and wrapped sideways, so that the length of the mushroom was parallel to the skewer, and secured on both ends.).
- 13Place 2 scallops on each skewer.
- 14If using a pan, reheat over high heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and swirl to coat.
- 15Lightly pepper the scallops, and, working in batches, sauté the lollipops, turning once, until scallops are cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- 16If using a grill, grill until scallops are cooked through, turning once, about 2 minutes on each side.
- 17If serving as an appetiser, arrange lollipops on an oval platter.
- 18To serve as a starter, divide the greens among 4 plates.
- 19Top with the lollipops, squeeze the juice from the lemon over the lollipops, and serve.
Browse Our Top Time To Make Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Time To Make Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Miso-citrus Scallop Lollipops
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 958.8
- Calories from Fat 685
- Total Fat 76.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.5 mg
- Sodium 188.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: