Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Japanese country-style grilled chicken. The thigh meat stays moist and tender, but boned chicken breasts can be used also.
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (usukuchi shoyu)
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons light miso
- 2 green onions, crushed and slivered
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, skin intact
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- toasted sesame seeds
- Blend soy sauce, sake mirin, miso, green onions, ginger root and garlic in a rectangular baking dish.
- Coat chicken with mixture.
- Marinate 1 hour or refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- Preheat a hibichi, portable tabletop grill or charcoal grill. (Can also be cooked in a skillet.).
- Shake marinade off chicken; pat dry.
- Place skin-down on hot grill. Grill 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken; grill second side 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and done inside.
- When chicken is done, sprinkle with sesame seeds and seven-spice mixture.
Yummy, easy and healthy. Love it. I did not have green onions and I am allergic to sesame seeds, so I left those items out. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. I will keep this recipe to use again. Thank you.
Absolutely wonderful!!! We all loved this recipe it had so much flavour and the chicken was so tender. I skewered the chicken for ease of cooking but apart from that made as is and it was gorgeous. I will be making this often and can not believe no one has reviewed this yet. I served mine with egg and mushroom fried rice a Japanese recipe I have and it went perfectly. Huge thumbs up loved by all. Thanks Alskann for another winner