Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love Swordfish steaks, especially when I can get them fresh. They are nice and firm, and don't have a "fishy" taste! Also love avocado....this is a great marriage of two great tastes! Prep time doesn't include marinating time!
- 1814.36 g swordfish steaks
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml lemon rind, grated
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml ripe avocado, mashed
- 59.14 ml plus 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- Place steaks in two 13 x 9 x 2 inch backing dishes. Combine vegetable oil and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Pour marinade mixture over steaks; cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove steaks from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Place marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Grill steaks over hot coals for 9 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, basting frequently with the reserved marinade. Serve with Avocado Butter. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
- Avocado Butter:.
- Combine butter and avocado in a small mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the lime juice, parsley, garlic, and salt; stir well. Cover and chill until firm. If desired, shape butter into small bowls before serving.
Another great recipe for one of my favorite fish. The marinade is excellent and the avocado butter outstanding. No reason why this combo would not work with salmon and other firm fish steaks. Be careful not to overcook. Nine minutes on both sides would require a steak of 1 inch or more in thickness. The sword fish I tried this on was 3/4 inch thick (outdoor grill) and for my taste four to five minutes on each side was sufficient.
This is the most delicious recipe I've ever tasted for swordfish! It took a little less time on our grill-- I think the second side was about 5 minutes instead of 9. Next time, I'll increase the avocado butter, it was so good! Served it with cole slaw and fresh steamed green beans mixed with sautéed mushrooms. I will definitely be serving this to company, but it is so delicious, I'll also be making it part of our regular rotation. Better than any fish I've had in a restaurant.
Absolutely delicious! This is perfection on a plate, from the marinade to the compound butter ... wouldn't change a thing...other than the price of the swordfish. It is an excellent fish however, and one that ALL four of my kids enjoyed!