Recipe by Sue Lau
Mmmmmmmmm......Pile these on a warm piece of pita bread stuffed with feta cheese and pitted kalamata olives. Now this is eating!
Top Review by Alskann
These are awesome. So easy to make, so full of flavor. We ate them wrapped in a pita with kalamata olives and feta cheese. For ease of preparation, instead of threading the shrooms on skewers I just cooked them in my grill basket. What a breeze. Absolutely divine!! Thanks for posting. Next time I will triple the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegan sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 -20 medium-size mushrooms, brushed clean,stems removed,cut in half
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in a small pan; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Allow mushrooms to cool in liquid.
- (Best results if you take mushrooms and liquid when cool and refrigerate, allowing to marinate, up to 4 days) Thread mushrooms on metal skewers or wood skewers that have soaked at least 20 minutes in warm water (to prevent burning).
- Discard marinade.
- Grill skewers 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat, turning once.
- Serve with warm pita bread, feta cheese and kalamata olives, if you desire.