Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 slices ciabatta or 12 slices other rustic italian white bread, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced genoa salami
- Whisk 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to blend. Arrange the slices of bread on a flat work surface and, using a brush, divide the vinaigrette equally among 1 side of each slice. Divide the provolone equally among the bread slices. Top 6 of the slices of bread equally with the sliced artichoke hearts and sliced genoa salami and then place the remaining 6 slices on top. Brush the outsides of each sandwich with some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat a grill, large skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, pressing occasionally to compact with a large spatula or the bottom of a heavy small saucepan, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill, cut in half and serve.