Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From fooddownunder. Would serve 4 as a main or 8 as an appetiser.
- 8 quail
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chinese chili paste with garlic
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Rinse quail well and pat dry. Season inside and out with salt and pepper. Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over quail, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain quail, reserving the marinade and place on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and roast quail for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 375 degrees and continue roasting, basting occasionally with reserved marinade, until quail are deeply coloured and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes more.