The sweet-spicy marinade really intensifies the chicken's grilled flavors and elevates it to a new high for chicken! For a wonderfully deep maple flavor, use a dark amber syrup, if you can find it. Time does not include 30 minutes to 1 hour of marinating time.
- Toss onion slices with 2 teaspoons of salt on a shallow dish. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and chili paste and stir to combine.
- Add chicken breasts and coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Spray your grill with cooking spray and light it.
- Remove chicken from marinade and brush off most of the onion.
- Grill the chicken over a moderately hot fire for about 4 minutes per side, or until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Transfer to a platter and serve hot.