Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
I made this with my Make Ahead Meatballs, Make Ahead Pineapple Meatballs, the other night and I have a feeling I'll be cooking my rice with coconut milk a lot from now on. The rice can be made without the fruit as well, it is so delicious and creamy. This is a lovely side served with grilled chicken, fish or pork.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high.
- Peel mango, slice from stone in thick pieces. Slice pepper in half, then core and seed.
- Grill pepper until lightly charred, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Grill mango until hot, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove fruit from grill and cut into bite-size pieces. (Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, then refrigerate covered. Reheat before serving).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan or small casserole (preferably glass or stoneware) with 5 ml of olive oil.
- Add rice to pan and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together coconut milk, chicken broth, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Pour hot liquid over rice, stir just enough to get all the rice wet, cover tightly with foil.
- Bake one hour or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and rest 5 minutes before uncovering. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve rice with mango, pepper and green onion slices.
This basically plays like rice with mango salsa. The grilled mango makes the dish.
I really liked this. It makes brown rice a lot more interesting. I didn't drizzle the olive oil over the rice and I forgot to buy green onions so I had to omit them. I loved the grilled mangoes and peppers on the rice. Made for ZWT9 Zingo
I'm sorry, we just didn't like this. The kids thought the rice was slimey. I thought the onions were a little weird with the mango. I don't know if I did something wrong or it's just a personal taste thing.