Recipe by Chef Boy-R "Diabetic" Danny
The first time I made this I used packaged bearnaise sauce, It was quick and good however it doesn't compare to real bearnaise sauce with fresh tarragon. Only warm the tomatoes do not cook them. For a real taste treat combo serve this with barbecued bacon wrapped asparagus.
Top Review by KLBoyle
This fish is absolutely delicious! I did use the packaged sauce but it was still fantastic. I also used the leftover sauce the next morning on eggs benedict and it was so good :) I will definitely be making this again and again!
- 3 lbs mahi mahi (skinless)
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons shallots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves (chopped)
- 20 tablespoons butter (2.1/2 sticks)
- 6 egg yolks (large eggs)
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons capers (non-pareil)
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Mahi Mahi into 6 8-oz fillets.
- Combine white wine vinegar, white wine, chopped shallots and fresh tarragon in a small sauce pan.
- Boil mixture until reduced by half, Pull mixture from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan, skim off excess fat (clarify).
- Preheat the Bar-B-Q to high.
- Put reduced mixture, cream and egg yolks in a blender, Turn on high and slowly drizzle the Hot butter into the blender until incorporated. (This way the sauce won't separate).
- Return sauce to the sauce pan on low heat,.
- Add tomatoes, capers and fresh parsley; warm throughly only.
- Add a dash or two of cayenne.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place fillets on the grill for 4 or 5 minutes a side. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the fish and serve.