Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my adaptation of a dish I was served in a restaurant in France. It is delicious!
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 2 onions
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 -15 black olives (according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (ground with pestle and mortar)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon pesto sauce
- olive oil
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon olive oil.
- Add finely sliced onions, fennel and garlic.
- Cook until the onions and fennel start to soften (get shiny) and add olives, parsley, ground fennel seeds and a pinch of pepper.
- Rub a pinch of salt into the skin of each fish fillet.
- Under a hot, preheated grill, grill the fish, skin side up, until skin is crispy.
- Mix 1 teaspoon pesto with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Serve fish topped with the onion and olive mixture and drizzle with pesto/olive oil.
- The dish goes well with fries or baked potato and roast vegetables such as roast tomatoes.