Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Make this an entire meal with lots of lettuce as a base. Crunchy, sweet, salty, hot...you decide. Note: lemongrass paste can be used in place of fresh and may be purchased in the produce department of most grocers.
For the Steak Marinade
- 2 stalk fresh lemongrass, lower 3 inches tender stalks, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml fresh gingerroot
- lime, juice of 1/2
- 4.92 ml lime zest
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil or 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g skirt steaks, flank steak or 453.59 g flatiron steak
- salt (optional)
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 14.79-29.58 ml fish sauce
- 9.85 ml white wine vinegar or 9.85 ml unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced (to taste) or 9.85 ml sriracha chili-garlic sauce (to taste)
- 9.85-19.71 ml white sugar
- 0.25 ml fresh ground black pepper
The Rest to Taste
- torn lettuce, romain, bibb, etc
- cilantro leaf, chopped (adds much so don't leave this out)
- basil leaves, chopped
- green onion, chopped
- shredded carrot
- sliced cucumber
- sliced tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- bean sprouts
- toasted sesame seeds
- Place the marinade ingredients (lemongrass through oil) into a blender or small food processor and blend or process until pureed.
- Place the steak into a ziplock bag and scoop the marinade into the ziplock bag. Close the bag, squeeze out the air and massage the bag to coat. Refrigerate for 2 - 24 hours to marinade. Before grilling, beef may be salted, if desired.
- Grill the meat over charcoal or gas grill for about 5-7 minutes per side. Avoid overcooking. Allow it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Toss the desired salad ingredients with the dressing and lay over the grilled beef strips.