Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
This makes a lovely light lunch, but if you wish you may serve the chicken by itself as starters with chilli Mayo as a dip on the side. Cooking time indicated includes marinating time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml plain yogurt
For the Wrap
- 4 pita bread or 4 flat bread
- shredded lettuce
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 6-8 radishes, sliced
For the Chilli Mayonnaise
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 14.79 ml finely chopped fresh coriander
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- You will need flat metal skewers, or if using wooden skewers then soak them in water for atleast 20 minutes to stop them from burning.
- Cut each breast lengthwise into 3 strips.
- Combine garlic, cinnamon, allspice, pepper, oil, lemon juice and yoghurt in a bowl.
- Add in the chicken strips and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (you may marinate the chicken for upto 3 hours in advance).
- Pre-heat indoor grill to medium-hot, or for outdoor grills, medium-hot coals.
- Thread 2-3 chicken strips onto each skewer.
- Grill turning every 2 minutes and basting with any remaining marinade until cooked through, for about 10 minutes.
- Warm the breads through for about 30 seconds on each side.
- To make the chilli mayonnaise, whisk chilli, coirander and lime juice into mayonnaise.
- Split open and separate each warmed pita into 2 halves.
- Slide the chicken pieces on each pita halves and top with lettuce, tomatoes and radishes and spoon over the chilli mayo.
- Add salt and pepper, roll up and serve hot.
It has been demanded that I bring this wrap to all future gatherings! LOL I made the chicken the night before and wrapped them up in sun dried basil or jalapeno tortilla's with the dressing and romaine lettuce. They stored well overnight and were great cold the next day. Super simple make ahead potluck lunch that will definitely be made again!!
Great recipe, a wonderful change of pace for those chicken breasts. Made for a great lunch. Loved the unusual to me spice combination. Used wraps because that was what I had on hand - I am sure it would be just as good using the pita bread. Redsie's photo is so appealing - it has me adding pitas to the grocery list for next time around - and there will be a next time for this great tasting chicken recipe. Thank you Aliyah&Aaron's mum.
I think my favorite part of this wrap, was the mayo (I did change it a bit - I didn't have any chile, so added some cayenne pepper for a kick)!! Also loved the mix of different tastes (radishes, tomatoes and the coriander). Will be making again (my dbf loved this!!). Thanks Aaliyah's mum! :)