Recipe by mell_2
From Bon Appetit August 2008. The prep time includes 3 hour marinating time.
Top Review by threeovens
This was very easy to make and packed with flavor! I did not even marinate the chicken, I just seasoned it and grilled it (on an indoor grill pan). All the Moroccan flavor is in the couscous anyway. I loved that it had so many vegetables so that it made a complete and satisfying meal even when sticking to only a 3 oz piece of chicken. Made for My Three Chefs cooking event (Cook #2).
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup thinly sliced green beans or 1 cup trimmed sugar snap pea
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/3-inch thickness
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- For couscous:
- Bring chicken broth, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin to boil in heavy large saucepan. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Scatter raisins over, cover, and let stand until couscous softens, about 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork, breaking up any lumps with fingertips. Transfer couscous to large bowl. Add cucumber, red bell pepper, carrot, green beans, and lemon peel. Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and lemon juice in small bowl. Add to couscous; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- For chicken:
- Place 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and seal bag, releasing any excess air; turn several times to coat. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Alternatively, chill 1 to 3 hours and bring to room temperature before continuing.
- Prepare barbecue (high heat). Brush grill rack with oil. Transfer chicken from bag to barbecue with some marinade still clinging and grill until slightly charred and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter and let rest 10 minutes. Stir 3/4 cup chopped cilantro into couscous. Sprinkle almonds over, if desired. Drizzle chicken with oil, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup chopped cilantro over, and garnish with lemon wedges. Serve with couscous.