Recipe by English_Rose
Juicy chicken breasts in a spicy lemon and ginger marinade, sizzled on the grill. Time does not include marinating.
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf, torn
- 6 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 cardamom pods, seeds of
- 2 -3 lemons, juice of
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 teaspoons gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- lemon slice, to garnish
- wild rice, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar, grind together the cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns and cardamom. Mix with the lemon juice, chili powder and cumin seeds.
- Slash the chicken breasts with a sharp knife. Smear them with the spice mixture, rubbing it well into the slashes. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Mix together the ginger, garlic and half the onion. Add to the yoghurt. Spread the mixture over the chicken pieces. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 5 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and allow chicken to come to room temperature.
- Grill the chicken for about 20-30 minutes, basting frequently with the marinade and turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish. Garnish with lemon slices and remaining onion.
- Serve with wild rice.