Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love this dish. Everything can be made ahead and it cooks rather quickly. The lamb needs to marinate overnight, and the relish can be made 1 month in advance. This sauce is so good, we're planning to use it on all kinds of meats and seafood. The recipe makes about 3 cups of sauce. Time does not include marinating time.
- 8 lbs leg of lamb, trimmed and butterflied
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
Hot Red Pepper Relish
- 2 lbs red bell peppers, finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cut lamb into 2 pieces where there is a natural separation in meat and put each piece into a large sealable plastic bag.
- In a food processor, purée all remaining ingredients (except relish) until smooth and divide marinade evenly between plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, and put in a shallow baking pan. Marinate lamb, chilled, turning bags once or twice, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill.
- Discard marinade and grill lamb in batches if necessary on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 7 to 10 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve lamb, thinly sliced across the grain, with relish.
- Hot Red Pepper Relish:.
- In a heavy saucepan, stir together ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour, or until reduced to about 3 cups. Relish may be made 1 month ahead and chilled, covered.
- Serve relish chilled or at room temperature.
This was amazing! I grilled the lamb over high heat so it was kind of charred on the surface but nice and pink in the middle mmmm. The real star of this dish however was the relish. Everyone (15 for dinner) LOVED it. Will defintely make it again!!