Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is really the only recipe I use when I grill a leg of lamb. Plan ahead, the lamb needs to marinate 24 hours or overnight. This marinade can also be used for lamb chops. A butterflied leg of lamb is with the bones removed and cut to spread open, you can ask your butcher to remove the bones and butterfly it for you. If you prefer a more lemony taste then thinly slice half of another lemon, leave the peel on, and just throw the slices inside the bag or bowl with along with the other marinade. If desired you can also stuff the lamb with garlic cloves as well as adding the minced garlic in with the marinade. Grilling time depends on size of lamb. This recipe produces an excellent grilled lamb that melts in your mouth, try to not overcook the lamb, for best results leave slightly pink in the middle.
- 1 leg of lamb (bone in) or 1 butterflied leg of lamb
GARLIC HERB AND LEMON MARINADE
- 4 -5 fresh minced garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 5 -6 green onions, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a glass bowl.
- Place the lamb in a extra large heavy-duty plastic bag or glass bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the lamb, and turn to coat well on all sides.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap (if using a glass bowl).
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours (turning occasionally to distribute marinade).
- When ready to grill, remove from fridge and save marinade for basting if desired.
- Turn the grill to high heat.
- Sear both sides for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Reduce grill temperature to medium heat and finish cooking the lamb.
- You may baste the lamb with the leftover marinade if desired.
We had this for Easter dinner and it was excellent! Having purchased a boneless leg of lamb at Costco, I was pleased to find out that once I cut the mesh bag off, the meat was already filleted. I prepared it a few days ahead and put it in a zipper bag in the refrigerator. So the Easter day prep was really easy. Everyone thought we had outdone ourselves.
This was a fabulous recipe even if I changed the method a little. Basically I marinated two legs of lamb and then baked them for three hours at a low temperature in a covered oven dish. The resulting dish was tender and incredibly flavoursome. I highly recommend the recipe for slow cooking though I am sure it is just as amazing as a grill recipe. Thanks Kitten!