Recipe by Chabear01
Recipe found in "Totally Garlic Cookbook", a little book my late DM picked up during one of her many trips to The Gilroy Garlic Festival. If you have the Butcher Butterfly the leg of lamb for you it definately shortens prepartion time, and I did not include the marinating time in the prep time as it is passive time, and you are sleeping...well at least that's what I do.
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 5 lbs leg of lamb, have the butcher butterfly it for you
- coarse salt
- 1 (6 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In shallow dish, combine lemon juice, zest, olive oil, onion, garlic, and oregano. Add Lamb and turn to coat all over. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- Grill over hot coals, turning several times and basting with the marinade, about 40 minutes. Serve thinly sliced with the Garlic Raita.
- ***Garlic Raita***.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Serve chilled. Makes 1 cup.