Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
wonderfull for a summer BBQ! inexpensive, entertaining on a budget, superb taste with rosemary, thyme and basil! from Canadian Living mag.
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder, about 2 lbs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- With a sharp knife, slice horizontally through lamb, stopping about 1 inch from opposite edge.
- Open meat like a book, flatten with flat of knife.
- Trim membrane and any excess fat.
- Place lamb in heavy plastic bag and set in shallow dish.
- Marinade: In bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, wine, onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour over lamb in plastic bag, press air out of bag and secure with twist tie.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove lamb from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Cook lamb flat on lightly greased grill over hot coals or on high setting, turning once and basting often with reserved marinade, for about 20 minutes or until desired doneness.
- To serve, slice lamb across the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Well I can assure you that this lamb disappeared as quick as a wink - I used a butterflied leg of lamb, marinated it overnight. Turned the BBQ to medium high, seared it on all sides then turned the burner under the lamb off closed the lid and continued to cook it with the second burner on high,turning often and doing a little basting. It took 1/2 hr and came out crusty on the outside and pink inside WOW Thanks Doraothy
Fantstically good! Found this recipe when I accidently bought a lamb shoulder roast instead of a leg of lamb. After this I don't think I need to go back to leg of lamb, it is that tasty. I also cooked it in the oven one day when it was raining outside and it was as good or better than on the BBQ (I put it in a pan with all the marinade and cooked it at 450 for about 30 mins.)
This was really fantastic! We marinated approximately 8 hours. Our lamb was flavorful and tender. I would have never thought to grill lamb shoulder and I really loved the convenience of this recipe. The prep took about 5 minutes, then I left for several hours, came home and grilled for 20-30 mins. This is a lot handier than having to stick around while the lamb roasts for several hours. I would definitely make this again. I served with recipe #106251 106251, which is my favorite way to serve cauliflower and worked really well with this dish. Thanks!