Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a great recipe! So many wonderful flavors blended together! This is my favorite recipe for lamb.** Note: do not wash mushrooms or put them in water, they will become mushy. Use a vegetable brush or wipe them with a damp paper towel. Times are approximate. Chilling time is not figured into time.
- 3⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 (2 ounce) cans anchovies, drained, oil reserved, anchovies chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil, packed and chopped
- 1 cup shallot, chopped
- 5 1⁄2 lbs fresh leg of lamb, fat-trimmed, boned, and butterflied (about 3 1/2 lbs boned)
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 lbs yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced**
- spinach leaves
- fresh basil sprig
- Mix mustard and lemon juice in a medium boil. Mix in anchovy oil. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Add anchovies, chopped basil, and shallots. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Take lamb out of the package and place in a large baking dish. Pour 1 1/3 cups of dressing over the lamb, turning to coat both sides. Cover lamb and remaining dressing separately and chill at least 6 hours or overnight. Bring dressing to room temperature before using.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of salted water just until tender. about 15 minutes. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups reserved dressing to warm potatoes and toss gently to coat. Cook beans in a large.
- pot of boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water, drain well. Add beans and mushrooms to potatoes. Mix in 1/2 cup reserved dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare BBQ (medium-high heat). Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Place lamb on grill and cook until thermomether inserted into the thickest part of meat registers 135° (57°C), brushing with remaining marinade from baking dish, about 12 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to platter and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Line large platter with spinach leaves. Mound potato salad in center. Cut the lamb against the grain in diagonal slices. Arrange sliced lamb around the edges of the platter. Drizzle lamb with remaining reserved dressing. Garnish salad with with fresh basil sprigs and serve.[.