Chef #549351's Note:
This recipe I first found on Foodnetwork.com and misplaced it and today came across it in the The Province Newspaper. I love trying new recipes and this was a good recipe for lamb. Sumac is a reddish spice from Middle East that is slightly sour , lemony taste. Look for bags of it ( usually ground ) at Middle Eastern grocery stores and I have found in Real Canadian Superstore. If you can't find it substitute finely grated zest of one lemon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lamb shoulder, trimmed or 1 lb lamb fillet, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- 4 skewers
- 4 cups mixed greens, such as romaine, endive and arugula, shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large flat bread or 4 large flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1If your using bamboo skewers, soak them in cold water while you prepare the meat. Place lamb in a food processor with thyme, chili, cumin, sumac, (reserving a little of each for sprinkling over later), a little salt and pepper and all the pistachios, put lid on and keep pulsing until mixture looks like ground meat.
- 2Divide the meat into four equal pieces and, with damp hands, push and shape the meat around and along the skewer. Place little indents in the meat with your fingers as you go-this will give it a better texture when cooking.
- 3In a bowl, mix greens and mint. In another, combine the sliced onions with a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix well, then stir in the parsley.
- 4Grill the kebabs until golden on all sides. Dress the greens and mint with a splash of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- 5Meanwhile, warm flatbreads for 30 seconds on your griddle pan or under broiler, then divide between plates and top each with some dressed salad leaves and onions.
- 6When your kebabs are cooked, slip them off their skewers onto flatbreads. Sprinkle with the rest of sumac,chili,cumin,fresh thyme and a little salt and pepper. Drizzle with yogurt before rolling up and serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Lamb Kofta Kebabs or Panini W Pistachios and Spicy Salad
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.6
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 83.7 mg
- Sodium 687.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: