Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Dairy Council with adaptations.
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1⁄4 cup mint, chopped fresh
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus, bottom ends trimmed (about 30-35 spears)
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, whole (optional but recommend using)
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 4 pita pockets, cut in half
- For the Tzatziki Sauce: Puree all ingredients in a blender until almost smooth, about 1 minute. Chill until ready to assemble.
- Pitas: Toss lamb cubes and asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Grill over a preheated grill (a grill tray works best for the BBQ pit or grill) until asparagus is tender-crisp and lamb cubes are cooked to a medium rare.
- Cut asparagus into 2” pieces. Set aside.
- Lightly grill both sides of the pita breads until heated through yet still soft. Wrap pitas in foil for a few minutes to steam.
- Divide sandwich ingredients evenly among the 8 pita-halves. Drizzle with the Tzatziki sauce and serve immediately.