Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Original recipe from food network, but it left out some steps that didn't make sense, so I sort of revamped it. Prep time does not include marinating time, or the time to get an outdoor grill ready.
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, trimmed and cut crosswise into 4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup cola
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 white onion, cut into 2 inch wedges
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 banana peppers or 3 cubanelle peppers
- Pierce the steak a few times with a fork.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat until golden, shaking the pan, for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Combine the sesame seeds, garlic, cola, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a large bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the steak, onion wedges, and bacon, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Remove the steak, bacon, and onion wedges from the marinade with a slotted spoon. Heat a grill pan over high heat. If using the outdoor grill, make sure your charcoal is medium high heat. Put your onions, peppers, and bacon pieces in a grilling skillet or basket. Grill the onion wedges, peppers, and bacon pieces, turning until charred and brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Grill the steak until charred, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
This was delicious!!! It is so full of flavor and was very tender and juicy!!! I followed this as written until the last 2 ingredients. It didn't specify what to do with the bacon beyond marinating and I didn't have any peppers, so I subbed some crushed red pepper flakes to the marinade. I also didn't need to toast the sesame seeds, as I bought them already toasted. I read that you got this from the food network site and I went and read the reviews and noticed that someone who had had the magazine with this recipe, stated that the bacon was for the rice with this steak recipe but not for the marinade, so I left it out of the marinade. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it will be one that I will need to share with my sisters!!! Made for Photo Tag Game.
This delicious grilled skirt steak gets a "thumbs up" from my grandson who couldn't give me a rating because his mouth was constantly full and it gets 10 stars from the rest of us! This skirt steak was so flavorful and tender from the marinade. We grilled it on our "indoor" grill which we take "outside" to cook on -- this way there is no flame up. This recipe will be in my Best of 2012 Recipes and be made often! Made for the 1-2-3 Tag Game, June, 2012.
I just loved this! I did add long green chiles as we have an abundance of them in west Texas. After I grilled the steak, we served it with pico de gallo (homemade) and wedges of lemon for squeezing over the hot steak. Really, really great! Made for football pool 2011.