Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Spicy and savory - not your typical grilled cheese! Adapted from a recipe by Joe Yonan.
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour kimchee, drained and chopped
- 1 small Asian pear, cored and thinly sliced
- sriracha sauce (optional)
- butter (as needed) or vegetable oil (as needed)
- Butter your bread as needed for your panini maker (mine doesn't require any). Lay down all four slices of bread on a cutting board, butter side down, and place a slice of cheese on each. Top two of the slices with kimchi and pear slices. Drizzle with a little Sriracha if you like. Top with the other bread slices to make two sandwiches.
- Press in a panini maker. If you don't have one, you may set a medium skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, then lay the sandwiches in the pan and cook, pressing with a spatula from time to time, until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese starts to melt. Repeat on the other side, and transfer to a plate.