Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Big Daddy's House" by Aaron McCargo, Jr.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs polska kielbasa, smoked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, freshly chopped
- Preheat grill. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut kielbasa into 3-inch lengths and butterfly lengthwise. Place on hot groll and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side turning frequently, charring all sides. Remove from grill. transfer kielbasa to a baking sheet and place in oven to cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and sugar. Allow sugar to cook to a golden brown color. Add onions and cook until caramelized. Stir in the sauerkraut and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until onions and sauerkraut are wilted and colored.
- Remove kielbasa from oven and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to pan of sauerkraut and onions. Toss together and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a platter, garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite mustard dipping sauce.
We really enjoyed this meal. I think I shouldn't have drained all the kraut juice b/c it really lost all the sour flavor we like. But the onions were very good. I didn't want to use the grill so I used my cast-iron grill pan and it worked great. It gave a nice, crispy skin. Thanks for sharing!
Loved the mix of the flavors of the grill mixed with the carmelized onions and sauerkraut. This was really tastey. Thanks for posting. Made for Photo Tag.