Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are one of our favorites. From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Grilled Kielbasa Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4-1 lb smoked kielbasa or 3⁄4-1 lb kosher salami
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, bottled, drained
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small boston lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 4 crusty bread rolls, such as Portuguese, halved horizontally
- Prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill, then light charcoal. Charcoal fire is medium-hot when you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds. If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderate.
- Cut kielbasa crosswise into 4 long sections, then halve each section lengthwise. If using kosher salami, cut lengthwise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Trim off skin if desired.
- Whisk together oil, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until emulsified. Toss lettuce with half of vinaigrette and reserve remainder.
- Grill tops and bottoms of rolls on lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, about 2 minutes total, then transfer, cut sides up, to a platter. Brush cut sides of top halves with remaining vinaigrette and mound salad on bottom halves.
- Grill sausage on lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, 3 to 4 minutes total, then arrange on top of lettuce (2 pieces per sandwich) and cover with top halves of rolls. Cut sandwiches in half crosswise.
- Sausage and rolls can be grilled in batches in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.
I am giving this recipe a 3 star based on the sauce alone. I used it with beef kielbasa and homemade rolls but the sauce wasn't what I expected. It was overpowered by the vinegar and was watery thin. I had to use arrow root to thicken it so that it would stay on the sandwich. Plus, I love horseradish and thought this would really highlight the kielbasa, but the vinegar still overpowered it no matter how much more horseradish I put in. Won't do again without serious tweaking.
I will gladly add my 5 stars to this great recipe. The honey mustard really puts this over the top for me. I used thick slices of Onion French Bread, just drizzled the dressing over the lettuce after adding to the bread, then spread the other half as directed which really worked well. Next time I'll double the dressing, since we really didn't have enough for 2 sandwiches, but they were big......My DH and SIL loved the taste of the horseradish. Thanks lazyme for a real keeper.
We enjoyed this throughly quick dinner tonight. Served it with . I think was in a hurry putting the dressing together...see that I skipped the olive oil and used only plain vinegar...was more like a spread and so I used it such on our toasted onion rolls. Oh well, we loved it nevertheless. Had a great zip to it. Whooee! Clear out your sinuses. I forgot how much I like that horseradish flavor on a sausage like Kielbasa. We will definitely make these again. Made for my Babes for ZWT4. Thank you for sharing!